Venice Day 1

A 4am wake up call was not the best start to the day but did mean the drive to the airport was nice and quiet and having the meet and greet service is always a good option. Flight was very quick shaving 15 mins off the total time so only 1.45hr and we landed in Venice. Having explored our options for getting to the island the easiest / cheapest combo was the public water taxi. It took 1hr 15 but we enjoyed a nice little ride along the way and meant we didn't have the hassle of getting a bus then transferring to a water taxi.

Elainora who owned the airbnb property we had rented was waiting for us at our stop and after 5 mins we were at our apartment.

The place was perfect, gorgeous rooftop terrace, really well finished and in an ideal location for our 4 nights here. She was also excellent, giving us loads of tips for things to see and do and how best to get around.
After she left we went in search of the local supermarket to grab supplies for breakfast and lunch. Luckily there was a shop a few minutes walk away and we stocked up on loads of fresh meat, fruit and cheese. Having had an early start we were in no rush to head out just yet and it was so hot too. We enjoyed our little picnic of buffolo mozzerella, tomatoes, bread, ham and cherries watched down with some fresh juice then decided to get the sun loungers out and enjoy some downtime.

Can't remember the last time I just chilled out reading a book in the sun so this felt nice. We also both had a very short snooze then it was out for some exploring. We headed down to the arsenale region and stopped off for some gelato. Man this stuff is good, Al loved his pistachio flavour alongside cheesecake and I went for cheesecake and vanilla, so creamy!

We found ourselves on the main street in the area with bars and restaurants which I'm sure get busy in the evening, we walked through a little park then found ourselves lost in the tiny streets meeting the locals with their dogs and cats wandering about.

Looking online it seemed the main street was somewhere good to eat at a reasonable price so we found a little restaurant with good recommendations and got a table outside. Al tried a local starter, 'Schie', some mini brown prawns in polenta.

He was not a fan but fair play for giving it a try. I had the scallops which were really good (although I do prefer mine cooked in garlic).

For the main we had a seafood risotto, this was beautifully cooked and very creamy. Al of course added another beer to his list then we headed back over to see Saint Mark's square. We walked via the seafront and it was lovely to see it all lit up.

By the time we got to the square it was about 10.15pm and surprisingly quiet so we wandered round for a short while to take some pictures and listen to the live music.

Al fancied another gelato for dessert but on the walk there the heavens opened so we headed straight back to the apartment instead, luckily we dried off pretty quickly as its still really warm. Just time to chill out for a bit and hit the sack given we've been up for almost 20hrs now!
Tomorrow the plan is to go to Doge's palace and Museo Correro in St Mark's square.